Saturday, July 24, 2010

Delicious Summer Soup

Wild passion flour I found growing in my yard. One year we were able to eat the fruit, but you have to catch the pod at the perfect time, in order to enjoy the sweet fruit.
Herbs picked from the herb garden awaiting their fate in the soup.
Assorted squash from the csa, which were perfect for this summer soup.
For the summer soup, I sauteed chopped onions in olive oil, allowing them to slightly caramelize. I added some minced garlic, and then about 1/2 cup of white wine. I allowed the wine to cook down by about half. Then I added 4 medium potatoes and covered with vegetable broth, simmering until the potatoes softened. I added in chopped herbs, including herb flowers (parsley, cilantro, thyme, chives and basil). I then added assorted chopped summer squash and covered with vegetable broth. The soup was simmered until all vegetables were soft. Then I blended the soup with an immersion blender. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then garnished with chives and chive blossoms.

I served the soup with a homemade pimento cheese (organic raw cheddar, mayo and fresh peppers from the csa and lots of freshly ground black pepper) on flat bread crackers and one of our first cucumbers from our garden!

No comments: