Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Collards and cornmeal


My dad grew up on a farm. Years ago he told me about how his mother used to prepare greens with cornmeal dumplings. The thought of this dish has been festering in the back of my mind ever since. Tonight I decided to tackle the yearning I've had for that meal. I had an abundance of collards and mustard greens from my csa.

I used this recipe from epicurious.com:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Simmered-Greens-with-Cornmeal-Dumplings-241202

I substituted turkey bacon for the regular bacon, changed the cornmeal to flour ratio so that it was mostly cornmeal and substituted agave for sugar.

It was sooooo so good.






I also made some roasted butternut squash, also from my csa, and some field peas and beans to round out the southern meal reminiscent of days gone by.

No comments: