Monday, September 15, 2008

Veggie dinner


Tonight I wanted to use my veggies from the csa, even though we're getting tired of okra, tomatoes and peppers.

I chopped some of the baby onions into a cast iron skillet with olive oil. I added okra that I chopped and sauteed to cut down on the slime factor. I added chopped grape tomatoes, torn collard leaves, torn fresh basil leaves and a can of chick peas to finish my tagine? or is it a ragu? I almost forgot that most important splash of wine vinegar!

Whatever you want to call it, I heated up some brown rice left over from yesterday. I served the tagine/ragu over the warm rice. On the side we had a salad of ramaine with avocado and a fresh lemon drizzle.

When I took the first bite of the warm veggie combo, I was transported to my grandmother's kitchen. Since she never made anything like this that I know of, I can only guess that it's the collards. She used to keep a pot of greens on the stove as well as a pot of field peas and her famous black coffee. Friends and family members who dropped by and knew her coffee would ask 'cut me off a slice of that coffee.' There were also always fresh biscuits in the oven that I have never been able to duplicate.

No comments: