Saturday, January 9, 2010

It was a sad day . . .

Aside from the fact that I have been unable to rotate this photo, I was also unable to properly make the cookies that we equate with the Christmas season!!!

I have been making viennese cookies every year around Christmas for at least 10 years. At least 10. You can see them from a post a year ago. I found the recipe in a little novelty Cookie cook book I received as a gift years ago.

These cookies are always a hit. They are the one cookie I get asked for.

This year though, this year I had malfunction after malfunction with my equipment. My piping bags blew out, the nozzle blew out of the bag, you name it. I felt like I had never worked with a pastry bag before. Finally, I put the cookie dough in the fridge and drove all the way over to a supply store and bought new bags, new nozzles, new ends to screw the nozzles on, everything I could think of.

I came home triumphant. I washed all my new gear, pulled the dough out of the fridge and let it sit, so it would be the right consistency. When the consistency was perfect, I put the dough into the brand new bag fitted with a brand new nozzle, and . . . and . . . and . . .

nothing.

The dough would not come out!

So, defeated, I rolled the dough like a log and sliced rounds and baked them, then filled them with the espresso flavored filling that adds to the delightfulness.

Note to future self: They are not the same!!!! The joy of these cookies is the delicate crunch in the mouth. Persevere - you can do it. Don't give in to the temptation to roll and slice. It will only end in disappointment!!!

Dear future self - I know you can do it. I have faith in you!!!



No comments: