Thursday, September 24, 2009

Federweisser and Zwiebelkuchen



In southern Germany in the fall, there is a delicious tradition celebrating the early wine that is sold only at this time of year in Germany. Federweisser (feather white) is a sweet, bubbly almost-wine that is served before full maturation.

The wine is traditionally served with zwiebelkuchen (onion cake). I wanted to recreate the experience here. The federweisser is not shipped because the bottles cannot be fully corked. So, the only way to experience the sweet nectar is to find a winery in the states that has adopted the tradition. In order to simulate the idea, I bought a nice light muscat and surprised my German hubby witha homemade zwiebelkuchen.



I started by sautéing 6 onions, thinly sliced. I stirred in a cup of sour cream and 4 beaten eggs. Typically, there is also bacon included in the mix. Sometimes caraway seeds are added, but I wanted the pure sweetness of the onions to shine. I made a simple pie crust and rolled it out on parchment paper.



I mounded the onion mixture on the crust and rustically folded the crust over.

I also made a simple lentil soup to accompany the lovely onion cake.

Delish!

No comments: